A Mystery Shopper is someone who visits a location assigned to them and acts like a regular customer to observe and evaluate a number of different areas such as store presentation, customer service, selling skills and the quality of a product. Mystery Shoppers are paid to provide factual feedback that captures a moment in time and one customer’s real experience in that environment. A Mystery Shopper is given a list of survey questions and guidelines which must be reviewed prior to the visit in order to complete the mystery shop according to the project requirements.
Qualities you need to become a mystery shopper include:
- Very good writing skills
- The ability to follow instructions accurately
- Reliability (eg, you keep your commitments and complete assignments by the deadline)
- A good memory and attention to detail
- Your own car or transport
- Access to a computer, the internet and a printer.
Take a look at the clip (right) to find out more about what's involved in becoming a Mystery Shopper.